Sunday, June 12, 2011

Insta-Protest



Here's a free tip for how to turn any common or garden illegal action into a righteous protest against oppression.

Suppose you're jaywalking - the light says red, but you're going anyway. Normally, this just makes you a bit impatient. But to turn this action into a philosophical blow against oppression, just state loudly while doing it:

"Government doesn't tell me what to do."

And presto! You have an obligation to resist the tyranny of the traffic signal. The sheep of this world obey merely because the government said so, but a free born citizen knows that Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, and right now, you're not giving that consent. As a patriot, Thomas Jefferson (or Sir Isaac Isaacs if you're Australian) will be applauding your actions somewhere far off.

If you need to pad out this philosophical battle cry, I suggest the elaboration, "The government makes suggestions on how I should act. Sometimes I follow them, sometimes I don't."

Notwithstanding the hyperbolic nature of this post, I do actually do this when I jaywalk. It just seems that much more righteous.

No comments:

Post a Comment